    SubjectRe: Bootscreen
    Previously Alan Cox wrote:
    > I'd not really pondered people who compile many drivers into their kernel
    > instead of into the initrd. I guess a few people still do that.

    Agreed - what you probably want to do is have a minimal kernel that
    boots an initrd which loads modules for the rest. If the kernel is
    small enough you don't care for its boot messages: if it fails the
    hardware is screwed and your box has to be repaired (esp. if you are
    dealing with embedded/special purpose systems where the people using
    the box can't even see the hardware).

    Then have the bios/bootloader setup your pretty bootscreen and reset
    it in the initrd when you load a fb driver.

    Wichert Akkerman <>
    A random hacker

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:32    [W:0.028 / U:1.300 seconds]