SubjectRe: Bootscreen
Previously Alan Cox wrote:
> I'd not really pondered people who compile many drivers into their kernel
> instead of into the initrd. I guess a few people still do that.

Agreed - what you probably want to do is have a minimal kernel that
boots an initrd which loads modules for the rest. If the kernel is
small enough you don't care for its boot messages: if it fails the
hardware is screwed and your box has to be repaired (esp. if you are
dealing with embedded/special purpose systems where the people using
the box can't even see the hardware).

Then have the bios/bootloader setup your pretty bootscreen and reset
it in the initrd when you load a fb driver.

Wichert Akkerman <>
A random hacker