SubjectRe: Western Digital hard drive and DMA
> hdd is running though ide-scsi, as it is a cd-rw. hda and hdb both have dma
> turned off later in the boot process by hdparm. Could it be that I wasnt
> using those 80 conductor cables, and was getting crosstalk? I guess i could
> buy some to test that theory out...

if you have noisy cables and someone turns off udma,
yes, you could certainly see corruption. if you can
possibly ever use udma, it's a very good idea to do so;
only with it are transfers checksummed. 80-conductor
cables are always advantageous as well, though only
required over udma33. (remember that valid IDE cables
are always <= 18" long, with no stubs...)

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:28    [W:0.075 / U:0.012 seconds]