SubjectRe: consequences of lowering "MAX_LOW_MEM"?
On Wed, Sep 04, 2002 at 10:02:27PM +0200, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:

> >> Yes, same problem on PPC, you'll run out of virtual space quite
> >> quickly for vmalloc and ioremap. Stuff a video board with lots
> >> of VRAM or any PCI card exposing large MMIO regions into your
> >> machines and it will probably not even boot.
> >>
> >> Ben.
> >>

> >Ben,
> > But doesn't using Matt's suggestion and moving both MAX_LOW_MEM and
> >changing KERNELBASE take care of this? It's an embedded board with no
> >video, but it does have one PCI Mezzanine Card (PMC) on it.
>
> Yes, Matt's suggestion would work, though I never tried lowering
> KERNELBASE. I don't think the kernel supports lowering it below
> 0x80000000 btw.

Take a look at those options. :) I added one to tweak TASK_SIZE
from the PPC default of 0x80000000.

I've run a system with a TASK_SIZE of 1GB, MAX_LOW_MEM at 16MB,
PAGE_OFFSET at 0x40000000, and HIGHMEM on with the PKMAP_BASE
placed up higher than the default 0xfe000000 (with a 1GB of RAM
installed) to allow for close to 3GB of vmalloc space. Certain
embedded systems with large PCI windows (like non-transparent
bridges, for example) gobble up vmalloc space pretty darn quickly.
This is just getting worse with RapidIO on a 32-bit processor.

Regards,
--
Matt Porter
porter@cox.net