SubjectRe: IDE-DVD problems [excuse former idiotic topic]
On Wed, 4 Sep 2002 10:55:37 -0400, Benjamin LaHaise <bcrl@redhat.com> wrote:
> Have you tried commenting out the hdparm commands in the initscripts and
> booted with a kernel that enables DMA (instead of using hdparm -d1)?
>
> -ben

I can give that a whirl, but it bothers me the way it currently
"works":

* Performance is terrible
* booting with noapic makes no difference
* Performance seems to indicate some kind of difficulties in
the kernel, perhaps connected to interrupt handling

I have another RH 7.3 box sitting next to the new one, which has
a Sony DVD-ROM. I just enabled DMA with hdparm and it works very
well. That is not what happens on the other (troublesome) machine.

So I am wondering:

* Kernel interrupt handling problem (should there be ERR if
apic is enabled? which it is)
* IRQ problem? I haven't tried changing around IRQs.
* IDE controller problem? Probably not, because the drive seems
to work the same on the Highpoint controller.
* Problem with this specific drive? Perhaps. I've never used it
before--the last "combo" drive I used was SCSI. I bought this
one because it was the same brand as the SCSI drive I used before,
and as an IDE device it would be about $500 cheaper (no SCSI
card needed). I will check to see if a firmware download is
available.
* Some other m/b problem? Perhaps, but I've not tried this drive
in another box. I am inclined to try that next.

I am also inclined to try the Sony DVD-ROM in the new box to see
if it exhibits the same behavior.

What is the "combo drive" used by the iMac et al.?

-joseph