SubjectRe: [RFC] Raceless module interface
Rusty Russell wrote:
> Ah, yes, four-point module interface: init, start, stop, destroy.
> Then you can call stop, realize the module is not at zero refcnt (you
> lost a race), then call start again. Similar thing if someone
> requests a stopped module.

That's one fairly complicated way of going about it.

Simpler is three points: init, stop, destroy. Stop is that part before
you call synchronise_kernel() - it's not something you can turn back
from.

If somebody needs the module, and it currently inside its
cleanup_module() function, they simply wait until destroy finishes, and
the module is unloaded, and then _reload_ the module from scratch. So,
let the disk I/O happen. This is a rare.

> Now you're going to have to change request_module() so the kernel can
> realize that you're requesting a module which already exists
> (request_module()'s effect currently depends on /etc/modules.conf of
> course).

Not at all. Keep request_module() simple, and change module loading,
like this:

1. Just before a module's cleanup_module() function is called, mark
the module as "unloading". This should force
try_inc_mod_use_count() to fail, causing its caller to behave like
the associated resource (e.g. filesystem) isn't actually
registered, and to call request_module().

2. request_module() should simply ignore modules marked as
"unloading". It should proceed to call "insmod" etc.

3. sys_create_module() or sys_init_module() should block if there is
a module of the same name currently in the "unloading" state.
They should block until that module's cleanup_module() returns.

4. At this point, the new instance of the module will initialise,
request_module() calls will return and the callers which called
try_inc_mod_use_count() in step 1 will continue with the resource
they needed.

> Now, of course, your module interface is starting to look really
> complex, too. Because you want to solve the "half-loaded" problem, so
> you really want "init" to reserve resources, and "start" to register
> them (ie. start can't fail). So every register_xxx interface needs to
> be split into reserve_xxx and use_xxx.

I don't see the point in this at all. What half-loaded problem? If a
module is destroyed, then reloaded and fails to initialise properly:
tough. It lost the resources fair and square.

> We can do all this, of course. I have an awful lot of patches. But
> I'm not really happy with any of them.

What do you think of the idea described above?: To mark modules as
"unloading" (as we do now), use synchronise_kernel() for an rcu-style
safety pause (as you suggested), and change module loading so that a
dying module is waited for before its replacement takes over?

-- Jamie

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:28    [W:0.160 / U:0.604 seconds]