    SubjectRe: ethtool documentation
    On Wed, Aug 07, 2002 at 07:18:17AM -0400, Richard B. Johnson wrote:
    > That capability is not permanent. If you let users write to the
    > SEEPROM, permanently changing the IEEE Station Address, you have
    > let users permanently break their network boards. I do protest
    > when this capability is in the kernel.

    Don't forget the old sun workstations that keep MAC addresses in
    nvram, where it's setable via the boot prom. I had one with a bad
    battery that I had to reset the MAC address on by hand if I unplugged
    it for too long.

    They DID implement a check to make sure the first few bits were
    correct for the product, though. I couldn't pick completely random
    MACs (though C0FFEE fit nicely at the end).

    Given a working nvram, this change was "permanent", and the only tools
    needed came with the system.

    Ask not what your computer can do for you. Ask what you can do for
    your computer.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:27    [W:0.024 / U:0.364 seconds]