    SubjectRe: ethtool documentation
    From
    On Wed, Aug 07, 2002 at 07:18:17AM -0400, Richard B. Johnson wrote:

    > That capability is not permanent. If you let users write to the
    > SEEPROM, permanently changing the IEEE Station Address, you have
    > let users permanently break their network boards. I do protest
    > when this capability is in the kernel.

    Don't forget the old sun workstations that keep MAC addresses in
    nvram, where it's setable via the boot prom. I had one with a bad
    battery that I had to reset the MAC address on by hand if I unplugged
    it for too long.

    They DID implement a check to make sure the first few bits were
    correct for the product, though. I couldn't pick completely random
    MACs (though C0FFEE fit nicely at the end).

    Given a working nvram, this change was "permanent", and the only tools
    needed came with the system.

    Erik

    --
    Ask not what your computer can do for you. Ask what you can do for
    your computer.