    SubjectRe: Dual Athlon 2000 XP MP nightmare
    On Sun, 16 Jun 2002, Allan Sandfeld Jensen wrote:

    > On Sunday 16 June 2002 10:30, Mark Hounschell wrote:

    > > First make sure you have MP cpus NOT XP's. The XP's are not certified by
    > > amd to run SMP. Second, try append="mem=nopentium" in your lilo.conf file.
    > > I have a dual 1900+ MP box and without that I have random lockups also.
    > >
    > BS and FUD!

    What's wrong with this suggestion, from someone who believes it works?
    Other than suggesting that it be hand entered instead of put in lilo?
    Disabling 4M pages is unlikely to solve the problem, but (a) the poster
    has tried it and I bet you haven't, and (b) all the things you suggest
    require hardware action, while a boot option can be done with less effort
    and chance of damage.

    What you suggest is more likely to work, but I see no reason not to try
    the simple fix first, with low time and effort budget.

    --
    bill davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
    CTO, TMR Associates, Inc