SubjectRe: 8-CPU (SMP) #s for lockfree rtcache
On 28 May 2002 17:45:56 +0200
Andi Kleen <> wrote:

> "David S. Miller" <> writes:
> > From: Dipankar Sarma <>
> > Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 18:28:06 +0530
> >
> > Well, the last time RCU was discussed, Linus said that he would
> > like to see someplace where RCU clearly helps.
> >
> > Alexey and I are in firm agreement that the routing cache
> > clearly benefits from RCU.
> The next obvious benefitor IMHO is module unloading.

There is a much bigger question here, which is "are modules first class
citizens"? Doing it properly turns us into a poor-man's microkernel.
We would standardize our registration interfaces (similar to the standard
notifier.h), and have them all do the inc and decs.

OTOH, if you treat module removal as a CONFIG_DEBUG_KERNEL thing, life
becomes much much simpler.

I have the code, I'll be serious about it in ~2 months.
there are those who do and those who hang on and you don't see too
many doers quoting their contemporaries. -- Larry McVoy