    SubjectRe: 8-CPU (SMP) #s for lockfree rtcache
    On 28 May 2002 17:45:56 +0200
    Andi Kleen <> wrote:

    > "David S. Miller" <> writes:
    > > From: Dipankar Sarma <>
    > > Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 18:28:06 +0530
    > >
    > > Well, the last time RCU was discussed, Linus said that he would
    > > like to see someplace where RCU clearly helps.
    > >
    > > Alexey and I are in firm agreement that the routing cache
    > > clearly benefits from RCU.
    > The next obvious benefitor IMHO is module unloading.

    There is a much bigger question here, which is "are modules first class
    citizens"? Doing it properly turns us into a poor-man's microkernel.
    We would standardize our registration interfaces (similar to the standard
    notifier.h), and have them all do the inc and decs.

    OTOH, if you treat module removal as a CONFIG_DEBUG_KERNEL thing, life
    becomes much much simpler.

    I have the code, I'll be serious about it in ~2 months.
    there are those who do and those who hang on and you don't see too
    many doers quoting their contemporaries. -- Larry McVoy

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:26    [W:0.022 / U:6.208 seconds]