    SubjectRe: kbuild 2.5 is ready for inclusion in the 2.5 kernel - take 3

    Constructive comments would be appropriate if I wanted to help construct a new
    kbuild. The truth is that I'm quite happy with the current kbuild and don't
    want it replaced with *anything* at all. (That's the same reason I'm glad no
    one's been talking about CML2 lately.) The new one wouldn't bother me if the
    user interface were *exactly* identical to the old one; i.e., if I could keep
    typing exactly the same commands to build a kernel and get exactly the same
    results and not be able to tell that anything had changed in the build process.

    Personally, I wish that the only changes anybody made were to the kernel itself
    (new drivers added, existing performance improved, etc.) and that all the
    supporting tools and utilities just could be left alone. I know that's not
    going to happen, but anything that slows down changes in those extraneous things
    is fine with me. I'd be perfectly happy if *years* from now I was compiling
    Linux 45.10.12 with the same kbuild, CML, gcc and everything else that I'm using
    right now.

    Adam Kropelin <akropel1@rochester.rr.com> on 05/17/2002 12:37:18 PM