SubjectRe: UNDI/PXE for 2.4.x available?
Date
We want to install PCs over ethernet with PXE. For the first boot from
net we have nothing than the network, we don't know the hardware, so an
UNDI in the kernel would be perfect. IMHO

> I think you'll have that problem with any UNDI driver; in either case
> I suspect that (a) performance will stink no matter what

That's ok for the things we will do.

> and (b) it won't work properly with SMP unless you apply really
> heavy locking.

Does it matter in our case?

> The PXE people at Intel really seems enamored with the idea of using
> the UNDI stack all the way into the operating system;

We need it not to run an operating system, we need it for the
installation of an operating system.

On the other hand, UNDI will deliver a network driver for all PXE-cards
that come up before there is any direct hardware support. (Ok, then b
matters)

--
Tobias Wollgam * Softwaredevelopment * Business Unit Information
MATERNA GmbH Information & Communications