SubjectAPM and APIC -- multiple batteries (was: apm.c and multiple battery slots)
At 12:01 PM 2/3/2002 +0000, David Woodhouse wrote:
>Please don't add an APM-specific interface for batteries. Look at the other
>code which talks to batteries - the ACPI code, SMBus and numerous other
>drivers for embedded systems - and design an interface to userspace which
>can be used by all of them.
>
>Preferably not in /proc.

Well, the only other interface I know of is device files, and from what
I've seen, that seems to be a place where we autoload drivers when needed...

Besides, pretty much everything else in /proc is for transmitting (normally
unchangeable, except for the sysctls) information from kernel to userspace.
Why not /proc?

--

Now that you mention it, yes, I agree that an APM-specific interface for
batteries would make code reuse harder (needing stuff for both APM and ACPI

How does the ACPI stuff handle this? *Does* the ACPI stuff handle this
(i.e. multiple batteries)?
If so:
Is it a generic interface?
If so, we should let APM use it too.
If not, could we perhaps change it to one?
If not:
I'm ready for suggestions about my original idea :)

--
Stevie-O

Real programmers use COPY CON PROGRAM.EXE