    SubjectRe: linux kernel config converter
    Jeff Garzik wrote:
    > David Lang wrote:
    >> I'll argue that _not_ doing this violated the principle of lease surprise,
    >> if you turn a feature on and immediatly back off why should anything in
    >> your config be any different then it was before you turned it on?
    >
    > Imagine this case:
    >
    > make xconfig # select CONFIG_USB_HID, which auto-selects CONFIG_INPUT
    > { time passes }
    > make xconfig # de-select CONFIG_USB_HID
    >
    > On the second 'make xconfig', should CONFIG_INPUT be automatically
    > de-selected? No. Because that is making the assumption that the person
    > does not want to continue to make the input API available.

    It depends. When CONFIG_USB_HID auto-selected CONFIG_INPUT, did the user
    know about it? Or did it just happen automagically behind the scenes? If
    it was turned on silently, and the subsequent de-select of
    CONFIG_USB_HID silently left CONFIG_INPUT turned on, I'd say that
    violates least-surprise.

    On the other hand, if turning on CONFIG_USB_HID then prompts "to do
    that, I also have to turn on CONFIG_INPUT", i suppose it's ok to leave
    CONFIG_INPUT turned on later.

    --
    Jason Lunz Trellis Network Security
    j@trellisinc.com http://www.trellisinc.com/