    SubjectRe: [ANNOUNCE] Open POSIX Test Suite
    At 2002/11/4 16:44-0800  Geoff Gustafson writes:
    > One issue is that this new project is primarily concerned with
    > testing parts of the spec that have not been fully supported in
    > Linux so far. These are the kind of things that are not included in
    > LSB yet, so they wouldn't be appropriate in LSB's test suite.

    Actually we do include some areas that aren't yet in the LSB spec or
    fully supported by Linux (eg aio) in the LSB test suites we release -
    they just aren't run by default - but it is easy to enable them.

    > utterly minimal. So far, each test case has its own main() function
    > and a bare minimum of surrounding code. The idea is that when a bug
    > is found, this one .c file can be sent to the appropriate developer,
    > and without any learning curve, they have the ability to find their
    > bug. I don't think LKML wants to see TET code posted here. :)

    Yes, I agree TET does have a significant learning curve, and I do end
    up writing small test programs that don't include the TET stuff before
    sending off bug reports.

    I have however seen some advantages - It is nice when you get a test
    failure the report tells you exactly which part of the specification
    you're violating. Once you do understand the TET/vsxgen library calls
    testcases look much simpler - and if you're aiming for complete
    functionality coverage including all the tricky corner cases for
    various interfaces which can require quite a bit of setup code to get
    into the right situation I think you'll end up having to write helper
    libraries anyway.

    IBM OzLabs Linux Development Group
    Canberra, Australia

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:30    [W:0.167 / U:11.104 seconds]