    SubjectRe: The end of embedded Linux?
    On Sun, Oct 06, 2002 at 05:53:26PM +0100, Alan Cox wrote:
    > On Sun, 2002-10-06 at 05:28, David S. Miller wrote:
    > > Embedded applications tend to have issues which are entirely specific
    > > to that embedded project. As such, those are things that do not
    > > belong in a general purpose OS.
    > 90% of the embedded Linux problem is not this. Its actually easy to get
    > most of the embedded needs into the base kernel - in fact they overlap
    > the other worlds a lot.

    No argument there.

    > No the big problem is that each embedded vendor is desperately trying to
    > keep their changes out of the mainstream so they can screw each other.
    > In doing so the main people they screw are all their customers.

    I just don't see much of this at the embedded linux vendor that
    brings my check. Everything gets pushed out somewhere. I know
    with some of the smaller embedded linux players I don't see any
    participation, but I'm not sure where you've developed this
    viewpoint ... oh perhaps it is from lkml participation?

    Let's think about that...many embedded developers have been around
    for years, some may have been more active in core kernel discussions
    on lkml (RMK) but others have been extremely active in arch-specific
    development. You don't hear from them because there is such a huge
    amount of work masked out by blobs of merges from the arch maintainers.
    For example, we have a very strong group of people working on Linux/PPC
    many of which have been around for years making the tree organized
    for the many board ports that need to be done, reacting to breakage
    from ia32-oriented development, etc. The issues are a little different
    in that we keep getting new sub-families of PPC processors and new
    boards everyday that don't follow a semi-standard PC architecture.
    Most of our time is spent just enabling these systems and working
    out arch-specific issues.

    That said, I have a laundry list of "mainstream" things like
    >32-bit phys remap_page_range, 64-bit resources, and PCI MSI
    support I'd like to work on. It just takes time and it's more
    important to fix fundamentals like our PPC 4xx SoC
    infrastructure. :)

    > So if the embedded people want 2.6 to be good at embedded they need to
    > get their heads out of their arses and contribute to the mainstream.
    > Otherwise they'll always be chasing a moving ball, and a ball most
    > people are kicking the other way down the field. Its a simple fact of
    > line, if you stick you head up your backside all you get to do is eat
    > shit
    > (and yes there are some embedded people who do contribute but they are
    > sadly a real minority)

    Thanks for not completely diminishing our work.

    Matt Porter

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:29    [W:0.049 / U:40.704 seconds]