SubjectRe: The end of embedded Linux?
Date
On Monday 07 October 2002 07:20 pm, Matt Porter wrote:

> > Or they could play in the source code if their needs are sufficiently
> > unusual, which more or less by definition they will be in this case. No
> > matter how thorough you are here, there will be things they want to tweak
> > (or would if they knew about them) that there is no config option for.
> > "make menuconfig" is not a complete replacement for knowing C in all
> > cases.
>
> True, but there are a number of people out there who want to do say
> a kernel port to XYZ custom board. They learn some basic kernel
> knowledge, but we can't expect them to be a guru of everything to
> get some work done.

Another very real option here is Documentation/tinykernel.txt. (Possibly
even going so far as a brief mention of uclibc and busybox/tinylogin, but
mostly just about choping down the kernel for embedding in nosehair trimmers
and electric toothbrushes and such.)

Rob "waiting for the linux i-button" Landley.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:29    [W:0.118 / U:5.852 seconds]