    Subject2.4.19+trond and diskless locking problems
    Hey there,

    We've got a network with about 20 diskless boxes at a client office.
    They've been running 2.4.19 (both the knfsd server and the clients) with
    Trond's patches for a while now, and though performance is really nice,
    occasionally one box or another will end up with a strange locking

    At bootup, and at shutdown, and for certain other tasks (reading utmp,
    etc) the box hangs for a long while (during which I suspect it is trying
    to lock). It hangs for about 300 seconds and then goes on normally.

    When this happens, there is always a file left in /var/lib/nfs/sm
    (normally there are no files in there for none of the clients, even when
    they are on) for the hanging box. Is this normal?

    We also occasionally get a log message in the server for this box like:

    kernel:Aug 10 17:39:22 anthem kernel: lockd: cannot monitor

    Trond, can I get you more troubleshooting information, or should I try
    2.4.20-pre on server *and* clients? This is a bit wierd, but since I
    don't know a lot of what went on in the last changes, I'm not sure where
    to start looking.

    Take care,
    Christian Reis, Senior Engineer, Async Open Source, Brazil. | [+55 16] 261 2331 | NMFL

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:29    [W:0.018 / U:120.448 seconds]