SubjectRe: [patch] amd athlon cooling on kt266/266a chipset
> System feels fast normally, and feels noticable slower with disconnected
> feature. The problem with vlc is it's timing fragility to get smooth video
> and synchronous audio output. (I also need alsa > 0.9.0 and XVideo scaling
> on my Matrox G450 to get there, btw).

hi hans-peter

i have uploaded a new testing version of the patch to the webserver. you
can get it from:
http://cip.uni-trier.de/nofftz/linux/amd_cool_new.diff
it is only a testing version and an attempt to fix this skippy behavior on
video and audio playback. after some searching through athlon references i
found some hints, how to set up the athlon processor to perform better
when reconnected to the system bus. so i figgured out a way to make this
processor setup from within the kernel (normaly it should be done by the
bios). i am not sure whether it does that what i wanted, cause i have no
sound video problems, so i need someone who tests this with a computer
which has problems with the patch. maybee you could do this ?
the new patch will modify a msr (mashine specific register) on the athlon
cpu, which is used to reset the clock to the right value, when the bus is
reconnected. i used a different setting, i found in one of the reference
guides. i am not sure whether this is the right value to fix the problem,
cause the documentation for the processor bug is only acessable by
registerd bios programmer (i think ... i didn't find it until yet) ...
so -... please give it a try and report whether the problems are going
better with this new testing version.
as befor, you have to enable acpi and acpi-processor ... then you have to
enter amd_discconet=yes at lilo prompt and this time you also have to
enter force_amd_clk=yes ....
at booting time (dmesg) linux will say something like:
Athlon/Duron CLK_Ctrl Value found : 6003d22f
Enabling disconnect in VIA northbridge: KT266/266A chipset found.
and ... when you have force_amd_clk enabed it will say something like
"Athlon/Duron CLK_Ctrl Value set to: ....." ... please include this output
in the replay ti me :)

if someone else with or without the problems want do give the patch a try:
please include this output lines (the values that are found) in the
posting .... expecialy i am interested to get the values from the people
who have no problems with the patch :)

thanks ...

daniel

# Daniel Nofftz
# Sysadmin CIP-Pool Informatik
# University of Trier(Germany), Room V 103
# Mail: daniel@nofftz.de

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:15    [W:0.081 / U:1.248 seconds]