SubjectRe: Serial Driver Name Question (kernels 2.4.x)
Andrew Morton writes:
> Ivan Passos wrote:
> >
> > (Please CC your answer to me, as I'm not a subscriber of this list.)

And when sending a message to the list about devfs, I wish people
would Cc: me.

> > Hello,
> >
> > By looking at tty_io.c:_tty_make_name(), it seems that the TTY
> > subsystem in the Linux 2.4.x kernel series expects driver.name to be
> > in the form "ttyX%d", even if you're not using devfs. I say that
> > because as of now the definition in serial.c for this variable is:
> >
> > #if defined(CONFIG_DEVFS_FS)
> > serial_driver.name = "tts/%d";
> > #else
> > serial_driver.name = "ttyS";
> > #endif
> >
> > , when it seems it should be:
> >
> > #if defined(CONFIG_DEVFS_FS)
> > serial_driver.name = "tts/%d";
> > #else
> > serial_driver.name = "ttyS%d";
> > #endif
>
> I don't think so. Some quick grepping indicates that _all_
> tty drivers currently use the "ttyS" equivalent if !CONFIG_DEVFS.
>
> Instead, it appears that someone broke tty_name(). Here's the
> 2.2 kernel's version:

That "someone" was me, and I changed it from broken to fixed.

> char *tty_name(struct tty_struct *tty, char *buf)
> {
> if (tty)
> sprintf(buf, "%s%d", tty->driver.name, TTY_NUMBER(tty));
> else
> strcpy(buf, "NULL tty");
> return buf;
> }
>
> And that's much more sensible. The tty has a name associated with
> what it is (eg "ttyS") - correlates with major number, probably.
> And it has an instance number.
>
> Which is cleaner, IMO, than embedding printf control strings
> in the driver name.

No, originally tty_name() did it, and then I shifted it to the
drivers. I don't recall the reason, but it was necessary. So I don't
want this changed.

Regards,

Richard....
Permanent: rgooch@atnf.csiro.au
Current: rgooch@ras.ucalgary.ca

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:15    [W:0.498 / U:0.408 seconds]