SubjectQuestions about task, thread, and tss _struct
Date
I have a few points of confusion, and I would deeply appreciate any
clarifications. They concern the three primary structures task_struct,
thread_struct, and tss_struct. (in kernel 2.4.x)

1) I am having a difficult time understanding how tss_struct could be moved
out of task_struct (per process basis, as one would expect) to a statically
allocated array (per CPU basis, ???). How can these registers be saved
across context switches, when there are only as many such structures as
there are CPUs? I did not follow the explanation in UTLK.

2) Why the multiple stack pointers and stack segments in tss_struct?

3) What is esp0 in thread_struct?

4) What are the members suffixed with 'h' in tss_struct? I thought they were
the segment shadow registers until I saw the member __ldth, because I didn't
believe that ldt had a shadow register.

5) Is there a particular reason for the double underscore convention
prefixing certain members?

Thank you so much for the clarifications that I've received in the past, and
no doubt this one also,

Don Dade