SubjectProblems with compiling kernel.
I'm using SuSE 7.1 and I had to compile the kernel to include SCSI support.
That part is all well and good. The problems started when I tried to set up
masquerading. Modprobe is returning the following error:

modprobe: Can't open dependencies file /lib/modules/2.4.2/modules.dep (No such
file or directory)

I looked in /lib/modules/ and there the directory is called 2.4.2-4GB and not
2.4.2

I tried to fool it by creating a virtual link to the directory with the name
2.4.2 but then the modprobe returns a large number of kernal mismatch errors
that the particular modules (iptable_nat) I am trying to run were written for
kernel version 2.4.2-4GB and not 2.4.2

It looks like modprobe is looking for kernel version 2.4.2 but the modules are
for kernel 2.4.2-4GB.

Incidentally I have another machine with the standard kernel that YaST installs
on which modprobe works well and the directory in /lib/modules/ is calle
2.4.2-4GB.

Any idea as to what I'm doing wrong?
Did I have to recompile the kernel to load the aic7xxx or could I have added a
command in some initialisation file to load it as a module (insmod)?

Regards
Mark