    SubjectRe: yenta_socket hangs sager laptop in kernel 2.4.6-> PNPBIOS life saver
    Alan Cox wrote:

    > > Try -ac Kernels with integrated PNPBIOS and "lspnp -v",
    > > then you will see your "motherboard resources". No magic.
    >
    > Except on the intel boards where your machine crashes, the vaio's where
    > some queries corrupt memory, the boxes where an interrupt during a pnpbios
    > call crashes the box, the machines where pnpbios called from both cpus at
    > the same time is a crash case, the wonderful weird tiny races on some boxes
    > that use smm traps and fail if random undefined things occur between the
    > two out instructions...

    So call it only once early on boot (in real mode) and save the table
    for later use (we don't need the fancy features ...) ?

    > > Alan, 2.4 would largely benefit from PNPBIOS, do you plan
    > > to submit this to LT (probably with the proposed life saver fix) ?
    >
    > Experience is that PnpBIOS services are so astoundingly buggy in many
    > bioses that they are probably not worth the risk. Ie more boxes break by
    > calling pnpbios than by assuming the vendor used a sane resource layout.

    How are these bugs handled by Windows ?
    Must we only mimick the Windows call layout to
    enter bios-writer's well tested code path ?

    > Before PnPBIOS can go mainstream we'd have to generate a detailed list
    > of buggy bios signatures

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:57    [W:0.023 / U:60.916 seconds]