    SubjectRe: Why side-effects on open(2) are evil. (was Re: [RFD w/info-PATCH]device arguments from lookup)
    On Mon, 21 May 2001, David Lang wrote:

    > what makes you think it's safe to say there's only one floppy drive?

    Read as: it doesn't make sense to have per-fd state on a single floppy
    device given that there's only one actual hardware instance associated
    with it and multiple openers don't make sense. Opening a floppy at
    different densities with magic filenames was an example Linus used earlier
    in the thread. Surely there can be more than one drive and more than one
    serial port.

    > On Mon, 21 May 2001, Oliver Xymoron wrote:
    > > On Sat, 19 May 2001, Alexander Viro wrote:
    > >
    > > > Let's distinguish between per-fd effects (that's what name in
    > > > open(name, flags) is for - you are asking for descriptor and telling
    > > > what behaviour do you want for IO on it) and system-wide side effects.
    > > >
    > > > IMO encoding the former into name is perfectly fine, and no write on
    > > > another file can be sanely used for that purpose. For the latter, though,
    > > > we need to write commands into files and here your miscdevices (or procfs
    > > > files, or /dev/foo/ctl - whatever) is needed.
    > >
    > > I'm a little skeptical about the necessity of these per-fd effects in the
    > > first place - after all, Plan 9 does without them. There's only one
    > > floppy drive, yes? No concurrent users of serial ports? The counter that
    > > comes to mind is sound devices supporting multiple opens, but I think
    > > esound and friends are a better solution to that problem.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:53    [W:0.019 / U:100.020 seconds]