    SubjectRe: no ioctls for serial ports? [was Re: LANANA: To Pending DeviceNum

    On Sun, 20 May 2001, Abramo Bagnara wrote:

    > > It may have several. Which one?
    >
    > Can you explain better this?

    Example: console. You want to be able to pass font changes. I'm
    less than sure that putting them on the same channel as, e.g.,
    keyboard mapping changes is a good idea. We can do it, but I don't
    see why it's natural thing to do. Moreover, you already have
    /dev/vcs<n> and /dev/vcsa<n>. Can you explain what's the difference
    between them (per-VC channels) and keyboard mapping (also per-VC)?

    Face it, we _already_ have more than one side band.

    Moreover, we have channels that are not tied to a particular device -
    they are for a group of them. Example: setting timings for IDE controller.
    Sure, we can just say "open /dev/hda instead of /dev/hda5", but then we
    are back to the "find related file" problem you tried to avoid.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:53    [W:2.275 / U:0.200 seconds]