    SubjectRe: /proc/config idea
    Jeff Garzik wrote:

    > Jeremy Jackson wrote:
    > > Yes, I like this. I do this manually, it allows reproducability, and
    > > incremental
    > > modifications, tracing how that kernel on that problem system was made...
    > >
    > > I think the ultimate would be to put all of .config (gzipped?) in a new ELF
    > > section without the Loadable attribute... I wish was the same.
    > > The you're guaranteed you know how a kernel on disk was configured.
    > >
    > > To correlate a running kernel to one on disk (vmlinuz) you have LILO...
    > > it appends an environment variable to the kernel command line with
    > > the name of the file it booted. This is not infallable, since LILO maps
    > > disk sectors, only using the filesystem at map install time.
    > >
    > > Permaps an md5sum of the .text ELF section would conclusively
    > > link the in-core kernel with an on-disk vmlinuz? Shouldn't be hard
    > > to do with objcopy and /proc/kmem?
    > [...]
    > > Comments anyone?
    > Instead of doing all this stuff in the kernel, you could simply update
    > symlinks to properly installed files at boot time.
    > Putting _files_ in the kernel is plain silly. This is unreclaimable

    not in the kernel in an ELF section, marked not loadable. it never leaves the
    as someone else posted, it's ~900 bytes gzipped (if you want to have it in core)

    unfortunately (in the LILO case) x86 doesn't boot an ELF image... (oops)

    > memory, folks. There is no need to special case an operation as simple

    If you have a lot of kernels around, which Config-2.4.3 applies to kernel 2.4.3
    given 5 to choose from...the idea (same for is that it being in the
    file they can't be confused. Kinda like forks under Mac (but let's not go there

    > as reading a file. [I think this about firmware images too, but that's
    > another thread]

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:22    [W:0.024 / U:5.008 seconds]