    SubjectRe: [rfc] Near-constant time directory index for Ext2
    mj@suse.cz (Martin Mares)  wrote on 22.02.01 in <20010222000755.A29061@atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz>:

    > One could avoid this, but it would mean designing the whole filesystem in a
    > completely different way -- merge all directories to a single gigantic
    > hash table and use (directory ID,file name) as a key, but we were originally
    > talking about extending ext2, so such massive changes are out of question
    > and your log n access argument is right.

    s/hash table/btree/ and you have just described the Macintosh HFS file
    system. (Incidentally, it stores file extent indices in a similar manner,
    with key = (file id, fork, offset).)

    MfG Kai

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:17    [W:0.033 / U:0.112 seconds]