Subjectregd kernel compilation

Hi
During the processing of compiling the kernel and getting it running, I
observed that my kernel not only contains software for my current hardware
configuration, but also for other hardware as well.(both in the kernel and
as modules). and during bootup, the kernel identifies the hardware and
either uses the concened part in the kernel, or loads the concerned
module. Cant this be done during compilation(ie., kernel building) itself
so that I get a smaller kernel and a smaller set of modules on my disk ?
Or is just that the current kernel compilation framework does not support
this ?

Note that I do not know what hardware I have, so I want the
compilation scripts to identify the hardware and make the correct and minimal config.

I am not on this mailing list, so please
cc me any responses.

thanks

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:12    [W:0.075 / U:1.408 seconds]