SubjectRe: Release Policy [was: Linux 2.4.16 ]
Allan Sandfeld wrote:

>On Tuesday 27 November 2001 09:02, Svein Erik Brostigen wrote:
>
>>What really scares me is not so much the way the kernels are numbered as
>>the way features gets added to
>>the kernels.
>>
>The problem is that for kernels new features _are_ bug-fixes. Like the new
>vm, work-around for discovered bugs in hardware, etc., etc.
>I an way what should't be done in a -rc release is new fixing features, but
>only the fixing _of_ features. ;-)

Hmmm... workarounds are not new features, but bug-fixes ;-)
The new vm is not a *new* feature, it is just a different vm than the
old. Even if you treat it as a new
feature, it should then be incorporated into a new-feature release, i.e
not in a 2.4.10.4, but maybe in what
would have been a 2.4.11.0.

I'm not going to be anal about this, but a more structured way of
handling new features/bug-fixes and release
numbering would be nice. A lot easier to know what you are programming
against and what you are
installing/testing.

--
Regards
Svein Erik

I've given up reading books; I find it takes my mind off myself.
Svein Erik Brostigen e-mail: svein.brostigen@oracle.com
Senior Technical Analyst Phone: 407.458.7168
EBC - Extended Business Critical
Oracle Support Services
5955 T.G. Lee Blvd
Orlando FL, 32822

Enabling the Information Age Through Internet Computing