    SubjectRe: Release Policy [was: Linux 2.4.16 ]
    Date
    On Tuesday 27 November 2001 09:02, Svein Erik Brostigen wrote:

    > What really scares me is not so much the way the kernels are numbered as
    > the way features gets added to
    > the kernels.
    > Internally in Oracle we do not add new features to a release number,
    > just bug-fixes.
    > Hence 2.4.0 is the base release of the 2.4.x kernel series. the minor
    > x-number should just indicate a bug-fix
    > release. Thus, no new features should get added to the 2.4 kernel with
    > this numbering schema.
    > If you really want to add features into the 2.4.x kernel, you also need
    > to extend the numbering schema.
    > I.e 2.4.0.x wil then be the bug-fix releases and 2.4.1.x will have new
    > features.
    > This makes it easier to maintain and to understand what is happening
    > between the various releases.
    >
    > As far as I can understand, today, new features are added to a released
    > kernel without any sensible numbering scheme
    > identifying this fact. I don't know if a 2.4.10 kernel contains the same
    > features as 2.4.16 with the only difference beeing bug-fixes
    > or if there have been added new features. By using a numbering scheme
    > that is consistent across both development and
    > production kernels, it is easier to identify the features in a kernel.

    The problem is that for kernels new features _are_ bug-fixes. Like the new
    vm, work-around for discovered bugs in hardware, etc., etc.
    I an way what should't be done in a -rc release is new fixing features, but
    only the fixing _of_ features. ;-)

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:13    [W:0.035 / U:33.660 seconds]