SubjectRe: Release Policy [was: Linux 2.4.16 ]

On Mon, 26 Nov 2001, Chris Meadors wrote:

> On Mon, 26 Nov 2001, Marcelo Tosatti wrote:
>
> > Sorry for not being able to discuss this issues... Its just that I'm too
> > busy doing the maintenance and other stuff at Conectiva at the same time
> > (people are flooding me with patches, btw, please stop for a while).
> >
> > Daniel Quinlan suggested me to release a "pre-final" release before the
> > real final one (which would catch most "stupid" bugs), and I think thats a
> > nice way of solving the problem.
> >
> > I'll _probably_ do that --- not sure yet, though.
>
> Aren't all the -pre's pre-finals?

No. Just the -pre-final is a -pre-final. :)

-pre-final basically means that this is the "candidate" release for the
final.

I could call it "candidate" or whatever (I don't really care about the
name).

> And what if there is a big bug found in the -final, it will obviously
> be followed up with a -final-final?

If people don't like the -pre-final name, I can call it "-candidate" as I
said previously.

> I like the ISC's release methods. The do -rc's (-pre's would be fine
> for the kernel as it is already established), each -rc fixes problems
> found with the previous. When an -rc has been out long enough with no
> more bug reports they release that code, WITHOUT changes.

Thats exactly the idea with the "pre-final" thingie.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:13    [W:0.340 / U:0.168 seconds]