SubjectRe: [RFC] New Driver Model for 2.5

On Wed, 24 Oct 2001, Alan Cox wrote:

> Well I don't want my laptop to suspend during a CD burn or firmware update.
> The device itself doesn't know anything about how busy it is since its
> just sending packets, only the subsystem driver controller it does

But that's _your_ problem. Not the kernels.

If you have a acpi deamon that decides to make the machine go to sleep
while burning a CD, that's nothign to do with the kernel at all.

It has nothing to do with sg.c either, for that matter.

> > Remember: the main point of suspend is to have a laptop go to sleep, and
> > come back up on the order of a few _seconds_.
>
> It also has to avoid unpleasant situations

Absolutely NOT.

The kernel does not set policy. If the user says "suspend now", then we
suspend now. Whether a CD burn or anything else is going on is totally
irrelevant.

> There are certain practicalities here with trying to make user space dig
> around in fuser innards or patching every cd burner. The sg layer is one
> that has to get involved (be it as a driver call back or a virtual driver)

Not a way in hell. If the sg layer wants to export a "/proc/sgbusy",
that's its problem.

But if I say "suspend", and the kernel refuses, I will kill the offending
piece of crap from sg.c before you can blink an eye.

Linus

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:10    [W:0.404 / U:0.940 seconds]