    SubjectRe: [announce] [patch] limiting IRQ load, irq-rewrite-2.4.11-B5

    On Mon, 1 Oct 2001, Tim Hockin wrote:

    > Our solution/needs are slightly different - we want to service as many
    > interrupts as possible and do as much network traffic as possible, and
    > interactive-tasks be damned.

    i the patch in fact enables this too: you can more agressively get irqs
    and softirqs executed by increasing max_rate just above the 'critical'
    rate you can measure. (and the blocked-interrupts period of time will be
    enough to let the softirq work to be finished.) So in fact you might even
    end up having higher performance by blocking interrupts in a certain
    portion of a timer tick - backlogged work will be processed. Via max_rate
    you can partition the percentage of CPU time dedicated to softirq and
    process work. (which in your case would be softirq-only work - which
    should not be underestimated either.)

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:03    [W:0.022 / U:14.900 seconds]