    SubjectRe: [preview] Latest AMD & VIA IDE drivers with UDMA100 support
    On Sat, 20 Jan 2001, Vojtech Pavlik wrote:

    > On Sat, Jan 20, 2001 at 06:45:10PM +0000, Alan Chandler wrote:

    > > >But that kernel uses the stock driver that was the original second
    > > >generation correct?
    > > >
    > > >Andre Hedrick
    > > >Linux ATA Development
    > > >

    > > Sorry, I realise now what I said was ambiguous. To be clear
    > >
    > > 2.2.17 - absolutely standard as shipped in debian - no errors

    This is with the original ide.2.2.17.??.date.patch and not the morfing
    timing code you have started.

    > > 2.4.0 - standard (downloaded tar.bz2) - ERRORS
    > > 2.4.0 - as standard except for three files in tar.bz2 attachment to
    > > Vojtech Pavlik's mail which were placed in drivers/ide directory -
    > > ERRORS.
    > > Alan
    >
    > Wonderful! A case where I can compare a working setup with a nonworking
    > one! :) Could you please send me the usual stuff (dmesg, lspci -vvxxx,
    > cat /proc/ide/via, hdparm -i /dev/hd*, hdparm -t /dev/hd*) for both the
    > 2.2 case and the 2.4.0+VIA-latest case? That'll allow me to find the
    > differences and possibly fix the new driver.

    Vojtech, I worry that the dynamic timing that you are calculating could
    bite you. Timings are exact especially at modes 3/4/5 the margins go to
    an effective zero for varition or wiggle room. The state diagrams from
    Quantum that created the Ultra DMA 0,1,2,3,4,5 show how darn tight it
    constrained. You need to assume absolutes because the various board
    makers screw up the skew tables by the PCB lane traces.

    By assuming only absolutes, all vendors that do bad designs will show and
    the user can not and "should" not be allowed to hold the driver in a state
    that can damage filesystems or lock the box. Since I have never addressed
    this issue in public it is no obvious why I hardcoded timings and did not
    let tehm float, but I hope it is clearer now.

    chipset ---\

    \---------IDC-header

    chipset ---+

    +----------IDC-header

    These are nearly the same but the corners cause bounce and iCRC's

    Cheers,

    Andre Hedrick
    Linux ATA Development

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:04    [W:0.026 / U:2.608 seconds]