SubjectRe: Definitions

Nice to see I'm not the only one who gets frustrated developing linux
kernel stuff. Linux kernel debugging is a lot harder than it should be
in comparison to NetWare, but it's a hell of a lot easier than
developing kernel code in NT. If you really want to get frustrated, try
debugging nested structured page fault exceptions in the NT kernel.
Linux is pleasant to work on by comparison. At least in Linux when
people break shit, they will listen and try to fix it rather than just
leave it busted and tell you to wait 6 months for the next service
pack.

W2K added a special memory alloc call that kernel modules had to call
(since on NT when you run out of memory in the kernel, rather than print
a message like Linux does, it just blue screens and dies). Then they
changed all the tools to force drivers to build with this new call, and
did not provide a decent way for drivers that ran an both NT4 and W2K to
be able to chose which API to call -- the result is that if you want
drivers to run on NT4 and W2K you have to call the old API and
potentially crash if the server runs our of memory, which is totally
braindead and stupid ....

:-)

Jeff

Alan Cox wrote:

> > foster the discussions I would like to see take place on this list. The
> > frustrations of developing on the Linux kernel get to you after a while...
> > But I would like to know why JFFS hasn't been removed if it was an accident.
>
> Well it got added by accident and it didnt break anything so since its now
> there and merged ok why unmerge it. The work has been done
>
> > Once again, sorry to bring the foul language so early on in the discussion.
> > I'll have my coffee before I post next time.
>
> Glad to see you got the capslock key fixed ;)
>
> -

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:58    [W:0.038 / U:0.648 seconds]