SubjectRe: 2.2.16 - Crash

On Sat, 5 Aug 2000, Mr. James W. Laferriere wrote:

Hi

seems strange that this would still be able to crash the machine
i though that was one of the points of a good os that if 1 program
does get out of control it does not take the others with it
but i am running bind 8.2.2-p5 anyway

i can recreate these crashes
what the machine does is a small news server for mailing lists
its when the digest lists come in and get split apart and sent to the
news server is when it crashes and this is caused because it runs out
of ram shortly followed by swap space then the
"VM do_try_free_pages ... processname"
show up. could this be because part of kswapd gets swapped out ?

thanks
James