SubjectRLIMIT_RSS: does it do anything?
Hi -

I've got a program (a search engine) that will mmap the whole disk if
you
let it, and since I want to run it on my website, I'd like to limit its
physical memory usage. "ulimit -m", corresponding to RLIMIT_RSS, seems
to be what I want (right?), but I can't figure if it actually does
anything
on Linux.

According to "top", it doesn't seem to limit the RSS size.

Furthermore, a search on RLIMIT_RSS through the kernel source tree gets
only a few hits - the include files, the /proc filesystem entries, and,
under 2.4 only, a single check in the madvise() code.

So, my question - does RLIMIT_RSS do anything? And how should I go
about limiting this process's real memory usage?

I don't subscribe to linux-kernel, so please include me directly in
any reply to this query. Thanks.
--
-bwb

Brent Baccala