SubjectRe: RFC: design for new VM

Rik van Riel writes:

> here is a (rough) draft of the design for the new VM, as
> discussed at UKUUG and OLS. The design is heavily based
> on the FreeBSD VM subsystem - a proven design - with some
> - physical page based aging, to avoid the "artifacts"
> of virtual page scanning

It's time to mourn the loss of a Linux tradition. The virtual
page scanning "feature", like the unique network stack and VFS,
was one of the things that distinguished Linux from generic
UNIX and BSD. The diversity was nice.

> - (in 2.5) we'll no longer have the buffer head list, but a list
> of pages to be written back to disk, this means doing stuff like
> delayed allocation (allocate on flush) or kiobuf based extents
> is fairly trivial to do

Cool. Say, how about shared-anon mappings?

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:57    [W:0.031 / U:0.112 seconds]