SubjectRe: NTFS-like streams?
On Sun, 13 Aug 2000, Alan Cox wrote:

> > > be unified in a way I can serve it over NFS to boxes that dont make that
> > > assumption and create the same layout trivially on a non resource forked
> > > fs.
> >
> > Using colon-separated suffixes seems like a reasonable solution IMO.
>
> colon would work for NTFS I believe. It also happens to sort of work for
> the mac as ':' is the directory seperator - the problem is to create namespace
> its not uncommon to simply swap / and :

Well, Risc OS uses ".", DOS and Windows use "\", NT uses "/"...

I'd just say "Linux uses '/' as a directory separator. If your app uses
something else, it's broken. BTW: it IS valid to have a colon in a
filename." End of problem...

All the current Linux apps will work without any changes. (OK, this might
show up previously unknown bugs, but that's their problem...) NT apps will
port more easily.

In the specific NTFS case, I'd even argue this is the CORRECT
interpretation of the filesystem's naming. This is exactly how NT would
refer to these streams, and it's effectively how they are stored on disk.

> > It even makes porting things from NT easier - they see the extra streams
> > the same way they expect to.
> > Anyone got any objections to this??
>
> Need to fix stuff like apache so they dont blindly open the other streams.
> You'd need an O_ option I guess. Remember the IIS holes serving other
> streams ?

We could add a stat() option, perhaps. Or just treat the other streams as
legitimate files? It's easy enough to tell Apache not to serve them - IF
that's the result you want. Particularly in the case of Macs, though, IS
it the result you're after?? You could well want to serve all the streams
of a published file.

I'd leave that up to userspace. It already has enough info to make the
"should I serve it?" decision; maybe add that stat() option if people want
it.

James.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:58    [W:0.395 / U:0.020 seconds]