SubjectRe: NTFS-like streams?
On Sat, Aug 12, 2000 at 11:13:36AM -0400, Theodore Y. Ts'o wrote:
> No, like GNOME's libxml. Which, granted, is too slow. We need to have
> a binary data file format which can efficiently handle multiple streams
> in a single file. But this should be done in user-mode, as a library
> which any application can use. And what it should store is a file,

I had thought one simple way of implementing this library would be:-

open() -> becomes
tar xzf foo -C /tmp/$UID/foo-$MAGIC
mv foo .foo-$MAGIC
#and possibly..
ln -s /tmp/$UID/foo-$MAGIC foo
close() -> becomes
rm foo
if tar czf foo /tmp/$UID/foo-$MAGIC/* ; then
rm .foo-$MAGIC;
# and it's probaly a good idea have..
rm -rf /tmp/$UID/foo-$MAGIC
else
mv .foo-$MAGIC foo;
return -ESOMETHING_BAD_THIS_WAY_CAME
fi

And I'm sure somthing similiar has been mentioned before.

ISTR People have mentioned Pavel's podfuk in relation to this.
In any case can someone implement this or something like it so next time
this comes up we can just say use libbar. please.

I've spent 10/12 years outside of POSIX working with directory's
pretending to be a multi-fork file the way pepole are going on about here.

Trust me, in the long run it is easier, and it does work.

TTFN
--
Roger
Think of the mess on the carpet. Sensible people do all their