    SubjectRe: NTFS-like streams?
    Rik van Riel wrote:

    > Currently you lose your "normal" file attributes (ie. the
    > ownership info and permission bits) when you transfer a
    > file over http.
    >
    > Why would this be any different with extended attributes?

    It shouldn't. HTTP, etc. will transfer
    the default stream only.

    > When you _do_ want to have these things transferred, you can
    > use a modified tar (or cpio or pax) archive format. Just like
    > the "standard tar" stores the normal unix attributes, it should
    > store the extended attributes.

    Yes.

    > And when we're talking about a "multistream file", just give the
    > user the whole directory in one .tar file...

    Interesting idea -- an option on pax to
    unravel a streamed file into a directory
    structure on FSes that do not support
    streams. So "foo.txt:default" would become
    "foo.txt/foo.txt". On a streams-capable
    FS, it would simply restore the file with
    streams intact, so "foo.txt" is what you
    expect. And if you don't want streams
    restored on non-streams FSes, then it simply
    discards them.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:58    [W:4.476 / U:1.336 seconds]