SubjectRe: Kernel 2.2.14 OOM killer strikes.
"Mike A. Harris" <mharris@meteng.on.ca>:

> 2) The kernel OOM killing issue is never going to be solved
> properly because it would have to be sentient to do so. So no
> amount of argument/debate will yield the omnipotent killing
> algorithm, and as such it will always suffer from doing the wrong
> thing, and pissing people off.
>
> Therefore, since some people WANT OOM killing to be done, and
> others such as myself do NOT want it to be done, could someone in
> the know of doing so, please make it a compile time or run time
> tunable option? I'd like to tell my kernel "If an OOM condition
> occurs, under absolutely *NO* circumstances are you to EVER kill
> a running process".

So you want your system to hang in a deadlock... forcing you to
press the reset button to restart....

> I am *NOT* asking for this to be the default option, nor am I
> asking that everyone else use it. I *FULLY* understand the need
> to have a system like we have right now FOR SOME SYSTEMS, however
> my system does not need it, and I suspect many other desktop
> systems do not either. I'd rather have the application that is
> hogging memory DIE than everything on my system by some
> "smart" algorithm.
>
> Why not have the kernel just write a couple hundred megs of
> random data to the root filesystem and reboot when detecting
> OOM? Sounds about as logical to me..

thats what happens, sort of, if the kernel isn't allowed to kill
off some processes. Just fsck every filesystem that was mounted...

> Then again, I just lost a bunch of work, so my current pissed off
> opinion likely reflects that. Please keep that in mind while
> flaming me with the wisdom of the current situation..
>
> GRRR!!!!
>
> Not trying to irk anyone, just letting off some steam.

First time it happened to me I wanted global user resource limits on memory
so that I would get notified when I was going over available memory. The
quota should be about 5-10MB less than physical maximum (say 1-5% of total
reserved for root). That way support daemons don't have to be killed
(the X server for instance) and I know (and processes know) when the
resources are no longer available.