SubjectRe: ext3-0.0.2e released
Ookhoi <ookhoi@dds.nl>:
> Hi Miquel,
>
> > In article <cistron.20000706093557.F13402@ookhoi.dds.nl>,
> > Ookhoi <ookhoi@dds.nl> wrote:
> > >Why not use Reiserfs? I think journaling is a must with disks that
> > >large, and reiserfs is faster dan ext2 if you have a lot of files/dirs
> > >in a directory.
> >
> > Ehrm. Look at the subject of this thread. What do you think "ext3" is ;)
>
> Yeah, I know, but then again, why do they all want to fsck? We have so
> many nice journaling file systems now.

Every filesystem has the potential to loose data blocks. Journaling filesystems
maintain the necessary metadata to access allocated blocks without logical
failures. BUT - sometimes deallocated blocks get lost. hence the need for
some form of fsck that can rebuild it.

When XFS (from SGI) was first released on the SGI platform, there was no
fsck available. After many crashes (they were frequent) the free space in
the filesystem tended to become small. It got to the point that the filesystem
even became unusable (a 16GB partition, with 3GB used had a maximum size
of 4GB...). xfs_check came into existance (fsck by any name is still an
fsck function...). If xfs_check showed errors, then xfs_repair was used
to fix it. Suddenly the 16GB partition became 16GB again. took about 20
minutes though...

The advantage to journaling filesystems is that you get to schedule when
to run the fsck, it isn't necessary immediately on boot (unless a MAJOR
failure occurs). This ability gets the system back on the air faster.