SubjectRe: It's time to get rid of zImage
Hi Peter.

I've only just noticed this thread, so please excuse the late
reply...

>>> Unless someone gives me a *CONCRETE* example on a machine
>>> which *STILL* doesn't boot bzImage (and boots zImage), I
>>> don't believe this statement anymore.

>> I am typing this on just such a machine. This is preventing
>> my upgrading to 2.4.x, since I can't get a kernel built
>> which fits as a zImage supporting the hardware in the
>> machine plus the features I need (yes, everything that can
>> be is a module), so I'm VERY interested in getting this
>> solved now (previously, it was really just an annoyance).
>> When booting from LILO, I get the following message when
>> specifying a bzImage kernel:

>> Block move error 0x02

> This sounds like a BIOS problem. Could you please try to
> boot using SYSLINUX instead (SYSLINUX doesn't use the BIOS
> block move feature?)

I get a similar problem with bzImage on one of my systems, with
the exception that I don't see the above error message. Debugging
showed that the problem ONLY occurs if the bzImage code is an
exact multiple of 16k in size when compressed, and thus that it
is not exclusively a BIOS problem.

As far as I can tell, when this occurs, the code to copy the boot
code to the 1M mark is getting things wrong in this case. My
investigations suggest that it fails to copy the second and
seventh 16k block from disk to memory in this case, but I can't
be certain about this.

> Also, please try a stripped-down zImage, even if it isn't
> the feature set you need... we're only interested in if the
> thing will boot.

> I also need as many details about your machine as I can
> possibly get.

In this case, the machine is a 386dx/40 with 32M of RAM and a
1.5G hard drive, and serves as my network print server. As a
result, the feature set installed basically consists of an ISA
NE2000 network adapter, the parallel port and printer drivers,
and just sufficient extra to enable ghostscript to run.

Best wishes from Riley.

* Copyright (C) 2000, Memory Alpha Systems.
* All rights and wrongs reserved.