SubjectSCSI strangenesses...
Kernel is 2.2.16. My SCSI adapter is a Tekram DC390 U2W, using sym53c8xx
chipset, which has the following peripherals:

- two IBM hard drives, but they're not the problem (id 1 and 6 though I doubt
that it matters at all)
- one Pionneer DVD reader, id 2
- one CD writer, Racer 12/8/32

The problem is with the DVD drive and CD writer. When I query the SCSI utility
at boot about these two drives' capabilitites, it says that none of them
support wide negociation or TCQ. By default, though, these settings were
enabled on both. The DVD drive worked, but not the CD writer.

I then disabled these two settings by hand, and my CD writer worked... My
questions are the following:

1. how come the SCSI card didn't disable these options automatically, even
though it knew about the drive capabilities?

2. is it possible to query a drive about its capabilities from a SCSI driver,
and to enable/disable such settings?

(as a side note, this problems occurs with both the ncr53c8xx driver or the
sym53c8xx one)

--
Francis Galiegue, fg@mandrakesoft.com
"Programming is a race between programmers, who try and make more and more