SubjectRe: The big IDE fight in a different light
In <Pine.LNX.4.10.10007211116260.13659-100000@master.linux-ide.org> Andre Hedrick (andre@linux-ide.org) wrote:

> Sorry Scoot,

> NO kernels are safe with an unfiltered HDIO_DRIVE_CMD active in the IOCTL.

This is true. Unfortunatelly the following somewhat shorter sentence is true
as well: "NO kernels are safe". Even if we'll include non-linux ones. Yes,
unfiltered HDIO_DRIVE_CMD making it easier but you can do it all without kernel
help you are root (Administrator in case of Windows) - not exactly without
kernel help but rather you'll just fix kernel so it'll help you :-) You can
remove any such filtering via /dev/kmem and I do not think code of exploit
will be significally bigger in such case.

> I have to finish 2.4 and fix 2.2 and 2.0........

> The only safe thing to do in 2.2 and 2.0 is to disable it or use 2.4 plus
> the patch. Since most do not want the patch and put there heads in the
> sand and their butts in the air and I am trying not to kick them to hard.

What I CAN NOT understood is WHAT you want to do ? If you want prevent
accidental damage then yes, it can be done. If you want to block mailicous
user then no you can not do it: it's not that hard to remove filtering from
running lernel with help of /dev/kmem ...

> You make the best point and that is why I am having to become so ugly to
> win the issue.

If it's "best point" then I REALLY glad Linus does not buy such "best point".
We still have hope then...

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:57    [W:0.156 / U:0.172 seconds]