    SubjectRe: Direct access to hardware
    On Sat, 22 Jul 2000, Ville Herva wrote:

    > > > Of course, kernel module loading should be disabled as well (or made
    > > > available only via challange-response authentication or something (*)).
    > >
    > > You can load all needed modules and then disable modules loading with the
    > > same /proc/sys/kernel/cap-bound ...
    >
    > Good.

    Of course you need to keep your bootable medium protected, ot at least the
    kernel. I think linux implements the concept of immutable files but I may
    have the os:s mixed up.

    It is a usability vs. security issue. You can tighten security immensly
    through capabilities, but then you will have a much harder time as an
    administrator.

    Peter
    --
    Peter Svensson ! Pgp key available by finger, fingerprint:
    <petersv@psv.nu> ! 8A E9 20 98 C1 FF 43 E3 07 FD B9 0A 80 72 70 AF