SubjectRe: Direct access to hardware
On Sat, 22 Jul 2000, Ville Herva wrote:

>> XFree86
>
>X, dosemu and VMWare.

X does, however DOSemu does not need direct access necessarily.
It depends on how it is configured, and what you need it to do.

VMware creates a virtual hardware environment which is
implemented by talking to linux device drivers. No linux driver,
no hardware in VMware. I do not believe VMware touches the
hardware directly for anything, at least not according to them.

I just wanted to clear this up (hopefully correctly) because
people might not want to use Vmware for fear of hardware access,
which doesn't happen.

TTYL

--
Mike A. Harris Linux advocate
Computer Consultant GNU advocate

... Our continuing mission: To seek out knowledge of C, to explore
strange UNIX commands, and to boldly code where no one has man page 4.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:57    [W:0.162 / U:42.404 seconds]