SubjectAnswer (Re: Cylinder limits jumper for drives over 32GB)

http://www.maxtor.com/technology/infobulls/13027.html

Andries.........I have your answer to JUMPON.EXE.

Prepare to live DANGEROUSLY if we muck with the "XXXX_MAX_ADDRESS".
There are AWARD Bios issues that prevent the System from getting past the
BIOS INIT's if the geometry exceeds 32GB.

We have a few options before we get to the DANGEROUS stuff.......

But lets cover that first!

Assume the user has run "JUMPON.EXE" to reduce the drive capactity to get
the drive under 32GB so the system will boot. We can call the
"XXXX_MAX_ADDRESS" pair and undo the "JUMPON.EXE" to give the user the
full drive capacity; however, failure to enable the drive geometry
limitation will cause the system to not boot again!!

Now assume that we got it correct and can force the drive capacity to
return to the orginal smaller size during shutdown. Next the user builds
a new kernel and the option is not enable by a config_flag or passed
parameter and the last partition(s) is(are) on the last portion of the
ummapped drive..........OOPS........worse if any partition is divided into
two parts because of the location of the CAPACITY LIMITS wrt partition
table.........a HUGE FS mess.........

Now that if have scared the crap out of me..........in thinking this issue
to death..........I will have to come up with a safe way to do this.....

Cheers,

Andre Hedrick
The Linux ATA/IDE guy

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:57    [W:0.225 / U:0.064 seconds]