SubjectRe: Answer (Re: Cylinder limits jumper for drives over 32GB)
Date
Followup to:  <Pine.LNX.4.10.10003271541410.13371-100000@anime.net>
By author: Dan Hollis <goemon@sasami.anime.net>
In newsgroup: linux.dev.kernel
> On Mon, 27 Mar 2000, Andre Hedrick wrote:
> > Prepare to live DANGEROUSLY if we muck with the "XXXX_MAX_ADDRESS".
> > There are AWARD Bios issues that prevent the System from getting past the
> > BIOS INIT's if the geometry exceeds 32GB.
>
> I found this out the hard way this weekend with an Athlon mobo and Award
> BIOS. The thing would hang during BIOS INIT with a 40gb maxtor. No fun...

There is no way to *transiently* enable the extra disk space (so that
it would go back to idiot mode when reset?) If so I'd say we pretty
much has to declare this a BIOS bug that we can't work around.

-hpa