SubjectFantastic filter for linux-kernel
I've been on l-k for quite a while and have seen various
spammings and other such occurances come and go from time to
time. It is very annoying when it occurs, but for some reason it
hasn't seemed to happen for quite some time now - for ME.

Take for example, the Pretty Park virus that was sent out to the
list. Oddly, I never received this, and many other things I've
seen people complain about...

I just discovered WHY I never receive this garbage, and I'd like
to share it with everyone else. In the past, many discussions
have taken place on how to properly filter linux-kernel messages
into a separate incoming folder, and also how to filter it so
that only authentic messages get through, and not spam and other
garbage. Various procmail filters had been posted, etc.. and I
had installed one of them without much thought, and completely
and totally forgot about it.

I just found a mail folder called JUNKMAIL which was not
configured in PINE as an incoming folder, and I inspected my
procmail filter to find a special ANTI-SPAM linux-kernel
recipe. I looked in the folder and to my surprise I found a
whack load of SPAM, virus postings, advertising, and numerous
other annoyances. I appear to have enabled the filter on August
22, 1998, and it has been running ever since without me
remembering. I've examined most of the messages trapped by the
filter just now, and in the last year and a half it has captured
528 messages including several hundred spams, several viruses,
and other nonesense.

I figured that others may also want to filter linux-kernel with
this very useful filter so I'm including it below:

:0 W
* ^Sender: owner-linux-.*@vger\.rutgers\.edu
* ! ^(((To|Cc):)|( )).*linux.*@vger\.rutgers\.edu
JUNK

If anyone sees any problems with the above filter, I'd love to
hear about it, and proposed solutions, however I've seen
virtually no messages get trapped by this filter that were legit.

I hope some of you find it useful!

Take care,
TTYL

--
Mike A. Harris Linux advocate
Computer Consultant GNU advocate

Suspicious Anagram #4:
Word: PRESIDENT CLINTON OF THE USA
Anagram: TO COPULATE HE FINDS INTERNS

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:57    [W:0.047 / U:0.552 seconds]