Subject[Semi-OT] Which kernel image to use for net-boot ?
Hello all,

maybe this is the wrong forum for this question, but I would
really appreciate if someone could help me solving the following:

I have a eepro100+ NIC which has this PXE boot feature, so I
set up a bootp and dhcp-server und also configured tftp.

When I try to netboot my client-machine, it successfully gets
its IP address and the NIC shows the loading of the kernel image
via tftp. After this the machine just hangs.

I used etherboot-4.4.3 which has netboot-0.8.1 as a sub-package.
I prepared my kernel image which 'mknbi-linux' as mentioned in
the documentation.

The funny thing is that when I _don't_ use mknbi-linux, I can
see the 'Loading.' message from the floppy boot-loader.

Mayne mknbi-linux is not modifying the kernel image corectly
so that it doesn't have the correct entrypoint for booting.

Are there important changes to the startup-code that netboot
doesn't know about ?

What kind of modifications are needed to get a bootable
kernel-image ?

I _really_ appreciate any help, I studied etherboot, NILO,
and various mailing lists but found nothing.

thanks in advance,
Patrick

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:56    [W:0.027 / U:0.092 seconds]